Sell-out



I used to boast that I could never be swayed by the power of advertising. I'd though of myself who was intelligent enough to make my own decisions, capable of choosing to spend my money on the products I need (rather than those that look nice and shiny on TV). But I've suddenly realised that I've been living a lie: I'm a massive sell-out.

This shocking discovery came while looking though my music collection: my library is crammed full of tracks that have been featured in adverts. Now obviously, many of these were purchased because they were good songs and which have gone on to be used to help sell products as a result. But there's also an alarming number that I've downloaded purely because I've been used to hearing them in the ad breaks.

The most recent example of this is The Noisettes' Don't Upset The Rhythm, which is a phenomenally good song (Mazda), but I've also got copies of Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons (Beggin', Adidas), Crystal Castles (Air War, Toshiba) and the urge to buy Franz Ferdinand's new album off the back of their iPod ads. The power of advertising, eh?

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'll be watching the FA Cup on Setanta

The Italian Job

Berlin ePrix 2 qualifying report