La Fabuleux Destine d'Amélie Poulain


I've been looking forward to the launch of Film4 for quite a while now - I don't often watch films, but at their best there is nothing better than sitting back and escaping for a couple of hours in them. Having a film channel on the telly means that I can just tape the films I want to watch and catch up with them when I want: although ironically, I was watching one of my favourite films on More4.

Amélie is possibly the greatest thing to come out of France since... as it's an almost perfect example of film-making. It is characteristically French, with the wonderful architecture of Paris providing the perfect backdrop. It's characters, no matter how insignificant or fleeting, are carefully crafted so that their part is integral to the story. "Special effects" are used, but sparingly and these add to the experience rather than being the experience. Plus there is an enormous warmth to the movie: it goes beyond the temporary "feel-good factor" because the sense of resolution is hard-earned and un-questionably genuine.

Go and buy "Amélie". Or wait until it's on Film4.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'll be watching the FA Cup on Setanta

The Italian Job

Berlin ePrix 2 qualifying report