Mercury Music

This week, I’ve splashed out a whopping £7 on buying an album - my first proper music purchase in months - and in doing so I think I've found my album of the year.


In terms of hype, Lily Allen got a good Arctic Monkeying, but there’s one crucial difference: She’s actually worth it. On listening to the album for the first time, nearly every track made me stop and listen. The beats were catchy, the lyrics witty and the delivery perfect. Allen is the missing link in my collection between Madness, The Ordinary Boys, Miss Dynamite and The Streets. Go and buy "Alright, Still", and it will most likely be the soundtrack to your summer.

Which is why I really don't understand the decision of the Mercury Music Award panel to leave her off this year's shortlist. Neil McCormick's article in The Telegraph today just about sums up my feelings. Of the 12 albums nominated for the 2004 Mercury Music Prize, I own 9. Of the 12 nominated for the 2005 Mercury Music Prize, I own 8. Of the 12 nominated for this year’s prize, I own only 3. And one of those is the Arctic Monkeys who I don’t actually like, but just got given a copy of the album. 2005-2006 was not a poor year for albums, and I sure as hell haven't lost my touch. But I just don't know who I want to win.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'll be watching the FA Cup on Setanta

The Italian Job

Berlin ePrix 2 qualifying report