Frontier Psychiatry


I had a very strange dental appointment yesterday. Strictly, it wasn't actually an appointment... nor for that matter was it much to do with dentistry, thinking about it. I was the willing volunteer for a student's psychoanalytical study into the motives behind having orthodontic treatment.

I must admit, I was quite alarmed at how much information I disclosed. I was expecting to be talking about teeth and recounting hilarious anecdotes about eating soup: instead I ended up talking about the relationship I have with my friends, my plans for life, and thinking about how I've changed as a person since I was 14.

You see people on television – usually on programmes where a crime has to be solved – who get caught because they let seemingly insignificant details about their lives slip and some doctor/detective puts 2 and 2 together to make 94. Not that I've got anything to hide, of course. One of those is the brilliant House, MD, and it was while watching House on my own last night that the following slightly embarrassing "dialogue" occurred:

[House is having a go at a selfish patient]
Me: "Yeah, you tell her, House"
Me: "Hang on, who am I talking to?"
Me: "Hang on, who am I still talking to?!?"

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'll be watching the FA Cup on Setanta

The Italian Job

Berlin ePrix 2 qualifying report