"What mighty contests arise from such trivial pursuits"


Whenever I've played Trivial Pursuit in the past, I've not done very well. This is because I've only ever played it with my parents and their friends, who collectively form quite a formidable quiz team, and also because the version of "Triv" we've got at home is older than I am. No wonder I'm at a little bit of a disadvantage when it comes to answering some of its most modern questions!

Luckily, the South Sea pub down the road has a new version, which means that the questions are about more recent things (and slightly easier overall). When we all went and had a game on Thursday night, I did considerably better than usual.

● I had a dream in the week where I was a candidate on The Apprentice. My task, as far as I can remember, was to renovate a massive room in an old house. Think of a long dining room in a country manor, and you're along the right lines. The trouble was that my team were useless. The women (all the horrible women off the real Apprentice) refused to listen to me, and the men (with the exception of two random people from real life, who made a really excellent job of the stairs) were just plain incompetent. The room looked quite nice at the end, but it was such a shambles that when Sir Alan asked me who he should fire, I said "me".

● So, Boris Johnson is the new mayor of London. I don't think he's the right man for the job for two reasons: One, he's a bumbling idiot. Two, Ken Livingstone did a pretty good job of running the capital. He had a tough job: not only being the mayor, but also defining what the job actually meant. It's true he's made some bad decisions, but what politician hasn't?

● Labour took an absolute drubbing at the polls on Thursday, but at least there's one Labour politician who would be absolutely overjoyed to see the results. David Blunkett.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'll be watching the FA Cup on Setanta

The Italian Job

Berlin ePrix 2 qualifying report