Where I am at


Usually when I haven't posted anything in a long time, it's because I've got fed up of writing. This time round, it's because I've been ridiculously busy. In the past ten days, I've got a fair bit done – too much to do justice to here, which is frustrating – and there's still quite a lot to do.

▫ I was back in Dartford for a few days from Tuesday, despite the fact we still haven't sorted out a house for "next year". (I still refer to it as "next year", despite the fact that academic years are no longer relevant to me... and to mask the fact that the "new year" actually starts next week). This was to meet Blighty-dodging Croasdell, who's been exploring South America for the best part of a year. It was really good to be back in the Paper Moon to share a few drinks with everyone again... and quite strange to think that half of them will still at uni.

▫ It never ceases to amaze me how many people find it impossible to locate their seat on a train. There's no secret to the way the seats are arranged: there's no puzzle; the numbers start at one end of the carriage, and go all the way up to the other. Yet an alarming number of people wander up and down in search of their seat and still manage to get it wrong. How do these people ever find their way home? Do they walk up and down their street every day before trying to get in to their neighbour's house with their keys?

▫ I watched Numb3rs for the first time yesterday (after a four-hour House, MD marathon on Five US). If I've worked out the premise correctly, it's essentially a mathematical version of Diagnosis Murder, in that the policeman charged with solving the case always obtains a crucial piece of evidence/deduction from one of his (non-Police) relatives. In this case, the cop's good-with-numbers brother. Unfortunately, there was a fatal flaw with the plot in yesterday's episode. Not only was the maths completely irrelevant to the case (in order to facilitate some awkward product placement), but it also failed to solve the case. Which adds further weight to the argument that you really don't need maths after you leave school.

▫ My favourite song at the moment has to be Death Cab For Cutie's I Will Possess Your Heart, but this is being challenged by Mint Royale's Singing In The Rain, which I'm told is popular again after someone on the X-Factor used it in one of their acts. I've also finally got my hands on Captain's album (which is excellent) and the new one from Elbow (which is sublime).

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'll be watching the FA Cup on Setanta

The Italian Job

Berlin ePrix 2 qualifying report